Thursday 18 December 2008

Greeting Card Project

I had a crit which really helped me decide what to do . Me. Neil and Claire had a look through my research and they said about the fact that in using the Vernacular photography they came up with a palette, a colour base I could use for my illustrations.
I looked then at more Vernacular Photography. I collected quite a wide range. The more I had the more I had to choose.
The next stage was to find some bits of paper with some text, maybe some old maps, scraps of textured paper literally anything I could find to build up my collage, and scan then in and cut round the bits I want, after this I then came up with the collages. By building up the collages I managed to come up with background colours accordingly.Another reference before I started my final pieces was to look at the artist Sabrina Wardharrison. In my sketchbook I had started to put making tape to fit my research in, and Claire thought this would be a good book to have a look at as it reminded her of this and could be a possibility for a style.  
My next crit where we had to show our finished designs was really use. Some of the comments were that some of the collages looked to modern so they needed to be made more old, my colours were quite sophisticated. We then had overnight in which change the points made to use the day before, so what I did was to change some of the more modern pieces of collage making them more old.


Vernacular Photography
Vernacular Photography is something that I looked at when I researched into what I would like to do for my Greeting Cards project. I first looked at famous hollywood idols, but then I looked at this, I thought this would be better as you almost wonder what has happened in their life/ what they are thinking about, whereas Hollywood idols you know more about their life.






























The next stage was to find some bits of paper with some text, maybe some old maps, scraps of textured paper literally anything I could find to build up my collage, and scan then in and cut round the bits I want, after this I then came up with the collages. By building up the collages I managed to come up with background colours accordingly.
I really enjoyed this project and though at the start I had some problems at the start I think I came up with some innovative designs.

My teachers comments:
Your greeting cards came from some solid research and you have used your sketchbook well.You've clearly found some good references and have used them sensitively making the process of your own. You've taken onboard criticism from the critiques and have acted upon it. To improve these further treat every part of the surface as important, some of the backgrounds could do with more detail.






































No comments: