Saturday 20 December 2008

Packaging Project

Out of the three projects we had this was the one I was least looking forward to.  I really like packaging but it really just isn't my thing.
When we got given the brief I thought it was quite a nice brief we had  to design a new watch box for surfer company Animal. we first had a group day project where we came up with images as a group of Animals products an style. Then individually we had to research further and then design and make the packaging. The first thing I looked at was Animal though I had done this in the group project  I researched it further, looking at the watches and, their style in type, advertising etc. One of the things that seemed to be a big thing in our group was making the boxes recyclable, I decided to keep that on going as I thought it would be a good idea, as I thought Animal may be interested in this concept. I looked further into this but found it hard to find out information on this. All I could find was information about recyclable materials so I  continued with this. Then I looked into the actual design of the box. I found some research from Pentagram.





A set of packaging for Swatch called 'Swatch Irony' which really caught my eye, besides this I looked at other packaging, but this really stood out, as everyone else was coming up with making a box. I thought this would be really unique. I then took this as a starting point for how my packaging would look. I liked how there is a bit where you can see the face. I took this net put it in size and then made up some mockups just out of paper to see if it would work. I should have realised but the inner case needed to be smaller so that it would fit inside, so I redrew it and made a mock up. The next stage was to think about the illustration/ image on the packaging.

For this I looked at View 2 magasine. Which had some really ace illustrations.

No comments: